FIRST CITY CHURCH OF CHRIST
"...a church of Christ meeting in Vincennes, Indiana..."
"The Lord's Church"
Larry R. Ping II
The Bible offers abundant information concerning the Lord’s Church, all of which man must be aware. Did you know the Lord’s Church...
1. Is Also Referred To As The Kingdom? Jesus uses the words “church” and “kingdom” synonymously in Matt. 16:18-19. Generally, when the New Testament utilizes the word kingdom, it has the Lord’s Church in mind (I Cor. 15:24, Col. 1:13).
2. Was Prophesied In The Old Testament? Indeed, numerous revelations are fashioned. Notable among them is Isaiah 2:1-3, which foretells the Lord’s house (I Tim. 3:15) will “come to pass in the last days,” in the city of “Jerusalem” and “all nations” will be present. In addition, Daniel 2:44 predicts “in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed.” These kings denote the Roman Empire, dating from 31 B.C. – 476 A.D. The Church the Bible speaks of must meet these pieces of Divine criteria, else it cannot possibly be the Lord’s Church.
3. Was Purchased With The Blood Of Jesus? Luke asserted this Bible fact in Acts 20:28 when writing about “the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”
4. Is The Only One Of Which The Bible Tells? In a list of seven “ones,” Paul includes “there is one body” (Eph. 4:4). The “body” is identified as the “church” (Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18). This is why the Lord announced “I will build my church” (Matt. 16:18). Though the world is brimming with differing denominations and assorted religious bodies, there is but one Church. Each individual, then, should feel moved to study God’s Word and locate the Lord’s Church.
5. Is The Pillar And Ground Of The Truth? Paul wrote of this in his letter to the evangelist Timothy (I Tim. 3:15). These words help us to appreciate the Lord’s Church is the institution through which the Lord intends to “Preach the Word” (II Tim. 4:2) and to teach the truth which “shall make you free” (Jn. 8:32). No other earthly institution has been charged with such.
6. Was Born On The Day Of Pentecost? One can read about this in Acts 2. On this great day, Jews from “every nation” were gathered. They listened to “Peter” and “the eleven” preach about “Jesus of Nazareth.” Scores were “pricked in their heart” and responded to the call to “Repent, and be baptized...” The last verse of this chapter articulates “the Lord added to the church daily...” Since this day, obedient men and women have been heeding the same call, and God continues to add to the Lord’s Church.
7. Is Described As A Family? Referencing the Lord’s Church, Paul mentioned “the whole family in heaven and earth” (Eph. 3:15).Timothy was told the older men would be as a “father,” the older women would be as “mothers,” the younger men would be as his “brethren” and the younger ladies would be as his “sisters” (I Tim. 5:1-2). Notice the familial words. This family cares deeply for each other (Rom. 12:15), and shares a special love (Heb. 13:1). Be part of this family! If not, why not?